Monday, October 12, 2009

Yes, Kemosabe

Hebrews 10:19-25

I'm going to date myself a bit (it seems like I do that often these days!), but as a kid I used to love the Lone Ranger. (I'm sure it was in re-runs by the time I watched though.) He was always saving the day. With wisdom and speed, he would run the bad guys out of town, put others in jail and help those who needed helping. He'd even make the women swoon.

What a guy! Everyone wanted to be like the Lone Ranger. He was the epitome of the "good guy."

It's his title, though, that has a life of its own; as our society continues to believe we can "do it on our own." We have a Lone Ranger complex. It's probably not a real psychological diagnosis, but it definitely has it's place in most of our lives. I've heard it said often, "I can do it myself," or "I don't need anyones help," even in my own family, even coming from my own mouth!

And as I recall, there was one paradoxical thing about the Lone Ranger that I never fully understood, he wasn't alone!

That's right, he had Tonto who would address him with a respectful, "Yes, Kemosabe," even though none of us knew what that meant! (and still don't for sure.) Maybe it was a reminder that while the Lone Ranger was the Hero, he couldn't have done it without help. (I've always loved this Far Side interpretation.)

It's a good reminder to us, though, that we can't do this faith thing without help. We weren't meant or created to "go it alone." That's why the author of the book of Hebrews was so insistent on not neglecting to meet together, but to support and encourage each other and in doing so, their faith was strengthened...

...and at the same time, they were able to experience the very presence of God more readily.

Yes, Kemosabe, you need help to be fully present with God!

Peace ><>
pc

No comments: